Exhaust mixing elbows are the critical component used in marine engines where the excess cooling water is injected and mixed with the exhaust gases exiting the engines exhaust manifold, this cools the exhaust and also attenuates noise levels.
For its working environment in seawater, stainless steel is usually selected as the material of exhaust mixing elbow, which is reputed to be very long lasting. According to its irregular structure, investment casting is adopted to make the mixing elbows.
Manufacturing Process: Stainless Steel Casting
Cast stainless steel exhaust mixing elbows are made from a metal alloy that consists of a blend of at least 50% of iron with a minimum of 10.5% of chromium. The use of stainless steel casting because it’s highly resistant to corrosion and can be used in marine enviroment. Exhaust mixing elbows in stainless steel investment casting are made at CFS Foundry using the lost-wax casting process.
Stainless steel casting is used to produce exhaust mixing elbows for the following reasons:
- Excellent Corrosion Resistance: Chromium is used as an alloying element in stainless steel which helps improve the anti-corrosive properties of exhaust mixing elbows. Unlike carbon and alloy steel, cast stainless steel exhaust mixing elbow require little or no additional surface finishing. For this reason, stainless steel casting is used in other industrial components such as valves, pumps, and other parts where corrosion resistance is critical.
- Exceptional Visual Quality: High visual quality is obvious seen compared with parts made from other casting processes.
- Surface Finish: Ra6.4 or better is easily achieved.
- Close Tolerances: ISO 8062 CT5-CT6 level can be achieved.
- Near Net Shape Parts: Avoid long time machining, saving lots of machining cost.
What CFS Can Offer?
CFS Foundry provides custom stainless steel investment casting service following each drawing’s specification. We can pour various stainless steel alloys with investment casting method including 300 series, 400 series , precipitation hardening alloys and duplex stainless steel alloys. Our stainless steel casting capabilities include dimensions up to 1,000mm, and with weights up to 60kgs.
We perform all our stainless steel casting process in-house and specialize in close tolerances and complex casting projects for marine, food machinery, pipe fittings, and other industries. Our foundry runs dedicated lines for pouring different stainless steel alloys.
In addition to stainless steel casting, we provide secondary and support services including heat treatment, surface finishing, and nondestructive testing. Contact us if you have any stainless steel casting project!